Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gregorian Rock

Hello once again fellow progheads and welcome back to the concert closet.  2014 has so far been a stellar year for all things prog and new; I have discovered some extremely talented, diverse, and exciting bands to broaden my progressive horizons.  This week I am amazed at how cavernous this closet really is...strolling deeper and deeper, past the leisure suits, rows of wide ties, and a bizarre hat/belt rack, I discovered a band that is truly different in every sense of the word.  Although I use the word "unique" a lot in my posts, I believe you will agree that the music on the menu this week is distinctive, uncommon, and absolutely tremendous...welcome to the sounds of Gregorian Rock.

Gregorian Rock is described by its founder Dale Benedict as "...the first all-original Gregorian rock album ever, combining Gregorian chant and rock influences into a serene yet pummeling sound."  Spot on actually, although you have to leave your comfort zone and try Gregorian Rock on for size to fully appreciate something this out of the ordinary.  Using my own words I would describe Gregorian Rock as the biblical version of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.  When I said unique, I meant exactly that...one-of-a-kind unique.

My jump-off point for this week is a song called "Saeculum."  The prog feel kicks in almost immediately; the keyboards, drums, and guitars work together in a way that is smooth as eight inches of untouched powder on a cross-country ski trail.  The vocals have the Gregorian chant vibe without the pipe organ/chamber music feel.  The  tempo is upbeat--another unexpected surprise.  Listener beware; Gregorian Rock is neither old-style, religious music nor loud, ear-crushing metal.  Rather, Gregorian Rock has taken the hallowed sounds of Gregorian chant and traditional Catholic hymns and melded them with some amazing progressive instrumentation.  The result is a sound so incredibly special I am absolutely blown away.  This is a music feast I will not soon walk away from...

Serving number two is a tune called "Agnus Dei."  The opening keyboards and drums tell me immediately Gregorian Rock is by no means one dimensional because this song is 180 degrees from "Saeculum."  The vocals have an almost eerie similarity to Sammy Davis Jr.--and I do not say that like it's a bad thing.  Eyes closed I am getting Alan Parsons Project with a church choir doing back-up.  This song is upbeat, tight, and fun. Gregorian Rock is definitely music to play loud wherever you are...

Liner Notes...hailing from San Antonio TX, the mastermind behind the curtain with Gregorian Rock is Roland Dale Benedict.  Gregorian Rock is basically a one-man gig with Dale playing keyboards, wind controller, and Chapman Stick.  Many a musician has performed and recorded with Gregorian Rock, but the focus here is Dale and the music.  Simply stated, Gregorian Rock works because the music transcends. Personally I would never have been inspired to blend Gregorian chant with progressive music, but I am most certainly appreciative of Dale for having had that very brainstorm.  The music comes at you full force on each cut...just from different angles, viewpoints, and directions.  Gregorian Rock may have a definite "cathedral texture" about it, but not to the point where you feel the urge to genuflect or reach for the holy water--better to grab the volume control and crank it just a bit. The vocals can be almost haunting at times, and the drums, keyboards, and guitars are so full and tight I find it hard to believe Gregorian Rock is not fifteen people playing Madison Square Garden...a special kudos to the mixing on these tunes.

Taking my last helping from the buffet this week, I chose "Psalm 23."  Probably the most widely recognized of all the psalms in the bible, Gregorian Rock's version opens with lightning fast synthesizers and drums that dare you not to play air versions of either one.  The vocals on this cut are technologically terrestrial...try saying that three times fast.  If Gregorian Rock was around "back in the day" the Pharisees might not have been so inclined toward Crucifixion...

The song posted below is called "Sanctus."  My initial flashback to catechism class is short-lived--the drums and guitars made sure of that.  Anyone even remotely familiar with the Catholic church will recognize the hymn until the sledgehammer smashes you right in the face.  I pick up some influential aromas of  Roxy Music and Yes...I believe the Brian Eno and early Rick Wakeman years for both respectively.  Gregorian Rock has put a whole new spin on Christian music for me; I might have been a choir member if the songs were played this way on Sunday mornings.  Learn more about Gregorian Rock at http://gregorianrock.com/.  And don't be surprised if you get the urge to buy a hooded brown robe and a waist length piece of rope...



Well fellow progheads, as impossible as it seems (at least to me) this is my last post for January...is 2014 moving at lightning speed or what?!  The year has certainly started out strong and the bar has been set high, which only means there are other incredibly talented prog bands out there I need to find.  Fortunately "Prog Band Hunting" has become something of an Olympic sport for me.  I get the feeling I may never reach the end of the journey--which is absolutely fine with me.  Thanks for listening and riding  along.  Now back to the search...until next week...























No comments:

Post a Comment